Sunday, April 3, 2011

bronte country

with the film Jane Eyre just out, I have been thinking of the landscape in yorkshire where my english grandmother was born...she grew up looking over the moors to the village of haworth where the bronte family lived and many years ago, she took me to visit their home...we walked through the cobbled streets and saw the little stone house where the bronte sisters penned their tales that still hold us spellbound today and where heathcliff and cathie walked in wuthering heights...this time of year the moors are all soft and green with the sheep lambing and wildflowers blooming and in the fall it is covered in heather in soft shades of lavender...it is always misty with rain, which adds to the moody backdrop of these dramatic stories...
dry stacked stone walls that northern england is known for
main stairway in the bronte parsonage in haworth
charlotte bronte's watercolor sketch of wild roses 1830
the heather covered yorkshire moors
"the sky is blue and the larks are singing and the becks and brooks are all brim full.."Wuthering Heights by Emily Bronte

6 comments:

  1. So beautiful! I will have to check the film out.~Cheers Kim

    ReplyDelete
  2. how fortunate you are to have visited here...I too, long to return the land of my ancestry Scotland, it has been far too many years since I was blessed to walk upon the moors. I look forward to this most recent version of Jane Eyre as well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So beautiful. I saw the film last week and loved it. I love that soft feeling of fog on my face!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've been immersed in the Bronte family for a few months now, going through each and every one of their books as well as all the biographies on them...my dream trip is to go to Haworth and visit the Parsonage. How fortunate that you have that Yorkshire blood coursing through your veins and that you were able to visit!
    From the images I've seen, the parsonage is beautiful actually...and Charlotte it seems had very good taste!
    xo J~

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, I love Yorkshire. I visited Haworth a few years ago and loved it. As a huge Bronte fan, I cannot wait to head back one day and explore more!
    ps- your home is gorgeous!
    xo trina

    ReplyDelete